Third person dies in Loomis mushroom poisoning case
A third death has been reported in the case of the recent mushroom poisonings at an elder care home in Loomis.
Gold Age Villa reported to the California Department of Social Services on Monday that one of the four people hospitalized after eating soup that contained toxic wild mushrooms had died, department spokesperson Oscar Ramirez told the Journal on Tuesday.
“It’s an unfortunate incident and, again, the investigation is continuing,” Ramirez said.
Ramirez declined to release the name in the case of the latest death, but confirmed Wednesday to the Journal that it was another resident of the elder care facility. The condition of the other three people who were hospitalized -- two residents and the caretaker who prepared the soup -- remains unknown.
Ramirez said the licensee reported the death. Gold Age Villa, located at 8100 Horseshoe Bar Road, has been licensed to owner Raisa Oselsky since 2007. Its license allows up to six residents age 60 and older.
When state investigators inspected the facility on Nov. 8, they found that the one resident who remained there had proper care and accommodations, a department of social services spokesperson said.
Placer County Sheriff’s Office officials have called the deaths of Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, an accident.
Dave Wheeler, Loomis Fire Protection District chief, said Loomis Fire responded to two medical emergency calls to Gold Age Villa for severe flu-like symptoms.
He said crews responded at 3 p.m. Nov. 8, to the facility for a call on a male experiencing cramping and diarrhea; and again at 3 a.m. Nov. 9 for a female with the same symptoms.
He said South Placer Fire District transported both to local hospitals.
Messages left on a number listed as Oselsky’s cell phone and an answering machine at Gold Age Villa were not immediately returned Tuesday.
Jon Schultz can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @Jon_AJNews