comments

Loomis mushroom soup death toll reaches four

Condition of two others who were hospitalized unknown
By: Jon Schultz, Journal Staff Writer
-A +A

 

A fourth person has died after eating poisonous wild mushroom soup at an elder care home in Loomis, said Dena Erwin, Placer County Sheriff’s Office public information officer.

Dorothy Mary Hart died on Thursday at an Auburn nursing home; she was 92, according to Erwin. A mortuary reported the death to the sheriff’s office Tuesday morning, Erwin said.

The report of the fourth fatality comes just a week after details of the third death, 90-year-old Frank Warren Blodgett, had been reported to the California Department of Social Services by Raisa Oselsky, the owner of Gold Age Villa, where soup was served that hospitalized residents on Nov. 8-9.

A total of six people are known to have been sickened by the soup.

Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, died relatively soon after ingesting it, while the other four had been transported to local hospitals. The caretaker who prepared the soup and another resident are the only two survivors from that group, but their condition and identities have not been released.

No further details of the fourth fatality were available.

There is no criminal case pending in Placer County related to the incident, as police found it to be “an unfortunate accident” and there was no foul play suspected, Erwin said.

Gold Age Villa, located at 8100 Horseshoe Bar Road, has been licensed to Oselsky since 2007. Its license allows up to six residents age 60 and older.

The California Department of Social Services is conducting an ongoing investigation of the incident.

When state investigators inspected the facility on Nov. 9, they found that the one resident who remained there had proper care and accommodations, a department of social services spokesperson said.

Dave Wheeler, Loomis Fire Protection District chief, said Loomis Fire responded to two medical emergency calls to Gold Age Villa for severe flu-like symptoms.

He said crews responded at 3 p.m. Nov. 8, to the facility for a call on a male experiencing cramping and diarrhea; and again at 3 a.m. Nov. 9 for a female with the same symptoms.

 

Jon Schultz can be reached at jons@goldcountrymedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Jon_AJNews