Looking Back

From the archives of the Loomis News
By: Compiled Howard Mehl and Howard Stitt
-A +A
50 YEARS AGO (June 19, 1959 Issue) Approximately 200 were present at the Court of Honor held by Boy Scouts of Troop 12. Court of Honor was opened with the flag presentation by the Sea Scouts of Ship 12 and the opening ceremony was given by members of the Order of the Arrow. The following guests were introduced: Doc Takemoto, Frank Nute, Harold Struble, Percy Lanouette, Jim Johnson, Ray Stiff, George Osborn, Aster Kondo, Kunio Okusu and Wes Naylor. Tenderfoot ranks were awarded to Donald Cooper, Jim Cunningham, Dennis Uyeda, John Snider, David Sorber, Boyd Quate, Douglas Rhodes and Fred Kageta. David and Kenneth Adkins received second-class awards, and first-class awards were awarded to Gary Collins and Ray Ogden. Receiving Star Rank were Leigh Murchie, Jerry Uyeda and Bill Tudsbury; and the Life rank was received by John Turnbull. Mrs. Bea Tudsbury was in charge of refreshments. 25 YEARS AGO (June 14, 1984 Issue) Optometrist Fred Guarcello was to be installed as president of the Loomis Lions Club. He was taking the reins from Dick Harris. Other officers would be Oliver Grey, treasurer; Buzz Hebard, secretary; Skip Anderson, first vice president; Bud Nobili, second vice president; Rick Boyer, third vice president; Mike Reese, Tail Twister; and Don Barnes, Lion Tamer. First-year directors were Frank Aguilar and Jim Johnson, and second-year directors were Jim Makimoto and Dr. Louis Hertz. 10 YEARS AGO [June, 1999 Issue) Services were held for Clifford Yamada, 90, a native of Penryn. He was a retired owner of a grocery store in Penryn. Clifford was a member of the Placer Buddhist Church of Penryn, JACL, and the Penryn Fruit Growers Association. He was a former member of the Penryn school board and the Penryn Volunteer Fire Department. He also volunteered with Penryn Boy Scout Troop 9. Shigeo Yokote, Al Nitta, and Homer Takahashi represented Loomis veterans at the dedication for the “Go For Broke” Memorial Monument in Los Angeles. The monument commemorates the heroic role of the 100th Infantry Battalion, 442nd Regimental Combat Team, the Military Intelligence Service, 522nd Field Artillery Battalion, 232/1399 Engineers and other Americans of Japanese ancestry who served in World War II. The Loomis School District honored retiring teachers Betty Frederickson, Linda Corr and Maureen Gazzaniga. Also retiring were Franklin School librarian Bev Aitchison and Loomis School secretary Linda Potter. The Loomis School yearbook was dedicated to Mrs. Potter. The Teacher of the Year for the school district was Jan Brown, a first-grade teacher at Loomis School. Del Oro pole vaulter Kevin Laskowsky qualified for the California State Track Meet. He held the Del Oro record of 14 feet 8 inches. Loomis Troop 12 Boy Scouts completed a 75-mile canoe trip down the Sacramento River. The Town of Loomis considered an extension of Swetzer Road along the railroad tracks to Sierra College Blvd. in order to ease traffic downtown