Wednesday Jul 08 2009
By: Compiled Howard Mehl and Howard Stitt
From the files of the Loomis News
50 YEARS AGO (July 10, 1959 Issue) Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Brace entertained at their home with an outdoor patio picnic. Guests were Mr. and Mrs. Bert Norberg, Mrs. Carolyn Law, Mrs. Lena Eckhardt, Mrs. Ruth Confer and Mr. and Mrs. Al Pilliard, all of Loomis; and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Eller of Applegate. 25 YEARS AGO (July 12, 1984 Issue) Richard E. Howard Jr., who was born in Loomis, officially declared he would seek election to the new town council in the Nov. 6 general election. During the election, the incorporation issue was to be decided and five candidates selected to the town council, pending the passage of the issue. A victory dinner honoring newly elected Superior Court Judge George Yonehiro was set in the Placer Building on the Gold Country Fairgrounds in Auburn. According to dinner chairman David Lucas of Lincoln, a barbecue dinner was to be served. 10 YEARS AGO [July 8, 1999 Issue) A memorial service was held for Ben Okusu, 73, a native of Loomis. He had been an engineer with Caltrans for 33 years. Ben was an avid fisherman. He also enjoyed traveling and hiking. Loomis remembered the fire of July 12, 1915 with a planned Fire Festival. In 1915 there was no fire department and most of the downtown businesses burned. At 3 a.m. an oil stove spilled its fuel and flames engulfed the May residence and livery stable. The fire swept over the Loomis Hotel owned by Frank Misley. It then burned F.W. Turner’s home occupied at the time by C.J. McFall. The fire spread to the post office, Wells Fargo office, Turner’s news stand, Plaus Drug Store, Baradoni’s Butcher Shop, Misley’s Hall, Bank of Loomis, Andrew Tyler’s Millenary, and the Union Ice Co., which also housed the Charles Coburn Shoe Repair Shop. Dr. O.L. Baron noticed two men running away from the fire. He grabbed his revolver and followed them. He caught the men, forcing them to give up 16 stolen watches and several stick pins from Rochdale’s store. The Fire Festival planners located three local citizens who were residing in Loomis in 1915 and asked them to be honorary Fire Marshals. They were Jonathan Takagishi, Merl Coburn and Florence Takahashi. Longtime Loomis residents also recalled another potentially devastating fire on June 6, 1947. Two fruit sheds, the Pacific Fruit Exchange and California Fruit Exchange, were destroyed. The train depot suffered severe damage but was saved from destruction by the firefighters. Other businesses in great danger were Main Drug, Gatt’s Market, Associated Service, Loomis Cafe, Orange Cove and the Wayside Inn.