Looking Back

From the files of the Loomis News
By: Compiled Howard Mehl and Howard Stitt
-A +A
50 YEARS AGO (Aug. 7, 1959 Issue) A new fire house was to be built in Loomis, and prelimary work was started by contractor Bert Norberg of Loomis. The building would be 30 by 60 feet asnd located on the lot across the alley from the Loomis Shoe Store owned by Frank Takagishi. 25 YEARS AGO (Aug. 9, 1984 Issue) William Sippola had lived on Auburn-Folsom road his entire life. His father and grandfather purchased the original 40 acres in 1908, and the first tax bill, on a one-cent postcard, was for $5.60. After leveling and clearing the land, hay and orchards were planted. Sippola and his brother, Tom, started operating the ranch in 1947 and in 1949 started a commercial egg business that he operated until earlier in 1984. From time to time William contributed articles to the Loomis News, some humorous, some historical, some serious. 10 YEARS AGO (Aug. 5, 1999) A granite memorial was dedicated to Dr. Paul Barnes for his 37 years (1924-1961) of service to the residents of Loomis. The memorial was erected thanks to the Loomis Lions Club and the Loomis Basin Historical Society. Also helping in the effort were many local citizens including Wes Barnes, a patient and friend of Dr. Barnes but no relation. Roy Ruhkala did an excellent job on the granite monument. The memorial is located on the Nelthorpe property next to their appliance store along with memorials to Doc Takemoto and James Oscar Loomis. Dr. Barnes began his practice in the rugged Grass Valley area in 1913 as a true country doctor. He never refused a patient regardless of weather or time of day. For example, on one stormy winter night the young doctor received word of a woman near Cherokee or Alleghany having trouble giving birth. Dr. Barnes started on horseback and then borrowed a team and sleigh from a rancher to continue his mission. He arrived in time to save both mother and child. Dr. Barnes came to Loomis in 1924. He and his wife Caroline were blessed with four children: Robert, Donald, Elinor and David. He answered calls up to two weeks before his death in 1961 at the age of 73. Town Council members Walt Scherer and Miguel Ucovich requested the Town of Loomis formulate some policy regarding the historic fruit sheds located in the heart of town. The two men hoped to put the redevelopment of the sheds on a fast track. The High Hand shed had been recently sold by the Loomis Fruit Growers Association to David Rosenaur. The Loomis firefighters moved into their new headquarters on Magnolia Street. The 1920’s era home was originally owned by the Deerborn family. Huong Vu of Loomis earned a degree with honors from Bradley University in Peoria, Ill. An ordinance to require property owners to conform with historical preservation goals was nixed by the Placer County Board of Supervisors.