Defensible space can save your home
Despite a burn ban starting Saturday, it is important for residents to be prepared for fire, according to Cal Fire officials. Defensible space around a home helps firefighters defend the property. By simply completing these steps, homeowners can dramatically increase the chances of their home surviving a wildfire:
· Remove all flammable vegetation 30 feet from all structures
· In an additional 70 feet, create a reduced fuel zone by spacing trees and plants from each other.
· Clear all needles and leaves from roofs, eaves, and rain gutters.
· Trim branches six feet from the ground.
· Remove branches 10 feet from all chimneys.
· Landscape with fire resistant plants
For more information, visit www.fire.ca.gov