comments

90-year-old man ID’d as third fatality in Loomis mushroom poisoning

Frank Warren Blodgett died Saturday
By: Jon Schultz, Journal Staff Writer
-A +A

 

The third person who died after eating poisonous wild mushroom soup at an elder care home in Loomis has been identified as Frank Warren Blodgett, according to the Placer County Sheriff’s Office. He was 90.

Blodgett died Saturday in Sacramento County, according to Dena Erwin, Placer County Sheriff’s Office public information officer.

Gold Age Villa owner Raisa Oselsky reported the death to the California Department of Social Services on Monday. The department is continuing its investigation.

Three others had been hospitalized from the incident, including the caretaker who prepared the soup, but their condition remains unknown and their names have not been released.

Gold Age Villa, located at 8100 Horseshoe Bar Road, has been licensed to Oselsky since 2007. Its license allows up to six residents age 60 and older.

When state investigators inspected the facility on Nov. 9, they found that the one resident who remained there had proper care and accommodations, a department of social services spokesperson said.

Placer County Sheriff’s Office officials have called the deaths of Barbara Lopes, 86, and Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, an accident. There is no criminal case pending in Placer County related to the incident, according to Erwin.

Dave Wheeler, Loomis Fire Protection District chief, said Loomis Fire responded to two medical emergency calls to Gold Age Villa for severe flu-like symptoms.

He said crews responded at 3 p.m. Nov. 8, to the facility for a call on a male experiencing cramping and diarrhea; and again at 3 a.m. Nov. 9 for a female with the same symptoms.

He said South Placer Fire District transported both to local hospitals.

 

Jon Schultz can be reached at jons@goldcountrymedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @Jon_AJNews